Search For Answers
Registering your own Nameservers
Last updated: March 28, 2011
If provided with your own custom [NS1/NS2].MYDOMAIN.NET nameservers they will first need to be registered at the domain registrar before they can be assigned.
It takes 4 to 8 hours to register hosts for .COM and .NET domains and 24 to 48 hours for all other domain extensions.
- Log in to your account manager. (with GoDaddy)
- In the My Products section, click Domain Manager.
- Click the domain for which you want add custom nameservers.
- In the Host Summary section (scroll down) click add.
- In the Host Name field enter ns1 (or the correct subdomain descriptor you are using)
- In the Host IP fields, enter the IP address(es) you want to add to the host.
- Click OK.
- Repeat for additional name server (ns2 etc.)
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- From the Domains dropdown, select Register a Name Server
- Under register a name server you may input NS1.YOURDOMAIN.TLD and the corresponding ip address.
- You will also need to repeat this step for NS2.
If you are not using either of the above registrars ...
Domain registration should be similar, but ultimately you may refer to your domain registrars FAQ for clarification.